We are inspired by:
- Regenerative ecosystems, where materials circulate in closed loops of use, growth and decay.
- The compost pile on our original campus, where food waste from our programs is transformed into usable, nutrient-rich soil.
- Our Appalachian home and the time-honored traditions of building and crafting with natural materials.
We strive to uncover the sources of our materials, ensuring they align with our commitment to a non-toxic, restorative materials economy.
Our methods include:
- Using salvaged and locally-sourced materials whenever possible, including harvesting a limited amount of lumber from our second campus land.
- Building with Declare label or Living Product Challenge certified products that avoid using toxic chemicals or those listed on the Red List.
- Providing dedicated infrastructure for the collection of recyclables and compostable food scraps.