We are inspired by:
- The surrounding pristine ecosystems that provide sustenance and shelter to diverse species.
- The proven connection between time in nature and mental health benefits.
- The interconnectedness of the natural world – species living in harmony and in balance with each other.
- The rich culture of community in Appalachia.
- Our vast experience helping people find wonder and inspiration in the natural world.
We plan to not only make our buildings a physically safe space free from toxic materials, but to ensure that people feel connected to the space, to nature, and to each other when they visit.
Our methods include:
- Integrating natural elements and biophilic design into our built structures to foster a sense of calm, wonder, and vitality.
- Using safe, non-toxic materials in the construction and maintenance of our buildings.
- Installing operable windows to provide for natural ventilation, testing indoor air quality, and implementing a cleaning protocol that complies with EPA’s Safer Choice label.
- Continuing our practices of welcoming people with a smile, serving family-style meals, and reserving time for personal and shared reflection during programs.
- Helping all people feel like they belong.