Relying on Renewable Resources
The intent of the Energy Petal is to create new sources of renewable energy that allow projects to operate year-round in a resilient, pollution-free manner. In addition, the Energy Petal prioritizes energy efficiency as a means to reduce wasteful spending, of energy, resources, and capital.
– From the Living Building Challenge Standard
We are inspired by:
- The abundance of naturally-occurring energy sources in our region, such as solar, wind, and hydro.
- Our surrounding plant communities, which relies primarily on photosynthesis as a highly-efficient and low-waste method for generating fuel.
We plan to build a safe, resilient and decentralized energy infrastructure powered entirely by renewable resources. We aim to be net-positive, creating more energy that needed.
Our methods include:
- The installation and use of photovoltaic panels and shingles, coupled with battery storage to create an energy reserve
- Hyper-efficient appliances, heating and cooling
- Passive approaches to lighting, heating and cooling buildings
- Creating a culture of conservation among program participants