Creating developments that operate within the water balance of a given place and climate.
The intent of the Water Petal is to realign how people value water; to address the energy and chemicals involved in transporting, purifying and pumping water; and to redefine “wastewater” as a precious nutrient and resource.
– From the Living Building Challenge Standard
We are inspired by:
- The natural balance of our water cycle and the land’s natural ability to filter and clean water.
- A heritage of responsible water stewardship, drawing from time-honored practices and modern innovations.
- The transformative potential of redefining wastewater to replicate regenerative patterns of growth, decay and rebirth found in natural ecosystems.
- The idea that our actions in relation to water can create far-reaching impacts – a literal ripple effect.
We aim to only use water available to us within the footprint of our property. We’ll treat the water on-site, demonstrating possibilities for future generations.
Our methods include:
- Capturing groundwater for our potable supply and harvesting rain from building roofs for non-potable supply
- Low-flow and super-efficient appliances to reduce the water demand and waste output
- Wastewater treatment and onsite dispersal
- Permeable walking and driving surfaces to allow stormwater infiltration