We are inspired by:
- Our 50+ years of experience helping people find wonder and curiosity in nature.
- Our beautiful natural surroundings and the incredible biodiversity within.
- The natural peace and harmony found in the woods.
- The rich culture of our region and the art, stories, and traditions of Appalachia.
We want all people to feel awed, uplifted and inspired when they visit our campus. We are fortunate to be building, living and exploring on a beautiful piece of property adjacent to Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
Our methods include:
- Embracing biophilic design and biomimicry in our designs to find efficiencies, celebrate nature, and emphasize the connection between built spaces and our natural environment.
- Designing the buildings to sit in the contours of the land, helping them to look and feel like part of the existing landscape.
- Thoughtful use of regionally-appropriate building materials.
- Integration of public art and design features that celebrate the culture and spirit of our region.
- Placing the majority of our land under a conservation easement to permanently protect the property from future development.